Started the github fro today and exploring it features and how to work out with it.
I am going to use the github for the opencart modules I have made, I found out that with the github I can keep track of changes and will make the version as per change.Â Thus I am sure these help in the Version control and source code management.
With this I donâ€™t have to make different files and folders for different version or changes as per the change of the Opencart version and edit done in the files.
This will help me to undo the changes as well and go to backward and forward of time to see the changes in the code and analyzed them.
Most popular version controls are:
- SCCS (Source code control system)
- Revision Control System(RCS) (improvement of the SCCS and is supported with cross platform and faster)
- Concurrent Versions System (CVS) remote and multiple works.
- Apache Subversion (SVN) â€“Can track the history of files and directory and watching a whole directory.
- BitKeeper SCM â€“distributed version control and is closed source or proprietary although it has free version with less features.
- GIT Â -distributed version control and open source and cross platform and better safeguards against data corruptions.
Who can use the Git?
Most people think that git is only for programmers and developers but anyone who wanted to track edits, review history logs and view the differences and retrieve old version Â for the txt files as the Â images, movies, music, fonts are not recognized by git.
I am enjoying the git for my php projects.